Sunday, May 3, 2009

Chased by Love

Psalm 23:6
We don’t have much time today so I’m not going to beat around the bush.
I’m going to take the old public speaking mantra to heart.
I’m going to tell you what I’m going to tell you, then I’m going to tell you, then I’m going to tell you what I told you.
Here’s what I’m going to tell you . . .
Jesus got your back!
I can’t say a lot about Psalm 23 that hasn’t already been said.
“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want . . .”
These words are embedded in our hearts and minds.
They are even used regularly by artists, musicians and movie makers.
Psalm 23’s words have been echoed by Puff Daddy and Biggy Smalls, Good Charlotte, Coolio and even Kanye West.
Kanye West says, “I walk through the valley of the Chi where death is
Top floor the view alone will leave you breathless Uhhhh!
But I'll be gone 'til November I got packs to move I Hope… (Jesus Walks)
God show me the way because the Devil trying to break me down
(Jesus Walks with me)
The only thing that that I pray is that my feet don't fail me now
(Jesus Walks)
And I don't think there is nothing I can do now to right my wrongs
(Jesus Walks with me)
I want to talk to God but I'm afraid because we ain't spoke in so long."
Kanye knows it.
Jesus got your back.
Kanye knows that in the midst of everyday, real threats of drugs, gangs and violence there is a Good Shepherd who’s got his back.
The valley of death is not a metaphor for Kanye and those to whom he sings.
The “valley of the Chi” is the mean streets of Chicago, the south side, Cabrini Green, the housing projects from which many do not walk.
But Kanye knows that Jesus walks there.
Jesus got your back.
What do you fear is chasing you today?
Maybe it’s drugs, maybe it’s a gang, maybe you can relate to “Jesus Walks.”
But maybe what’s chasing you is some other fear.
Jesus walks.
Maybe you were reluctant to pass the peace today because you fear that swine flu is chasing you.
Jesus walks with you.
Maybe you’re being chased by the IRS or maybe even your relatives who want something out of you.
Jesus walks.
Maybe you’re being chased by the fear that your marriage is falling apart; you don’t know how to talk to each other any more
Jesus walks with you.
Maybe it’s a chronic disease that won’t seem to let you go, that keeps taking a little bit more from you every day. (I think we call that life!)
Jesus walks with you.
Maybe you’re a church torn by a conflict and you’re afraid that the conflict could rip you apart.
Jesus walks.
Maybe you’re a church in exile, a church with a long, rich history, adrift, without a home and you’re wondering if God has a place for you.
Jesus walks with you.
I’m tellin’ you, Jesus got your back.
Oh I l know it don’t feel like it sometimes.
I know that valley of death is deep and dark and when you’re down in there it’s hard to catch even a glimpse of the sun’s rays.
Like I have said before, at least once a week I find myself at least starting that descent into that dark valley.
For some reason it was Thursday this week.
I had a great sense and feeling of despair and powerlessness on Thursday.
Sometimes it just comes on you, doesn’t it?
You feel yourself trudging down into that deep, dark valley.
But guess what?
Even there Jesus walks with you.
Whatever it is that is chasing you or that you’re chasing . . .
Jesus is a better chaser.
Jesus got your back.
This last line of Psalm 23 is really our assurance.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life . . .
I doubt that David wrote that on a Thursday.
I suspect he wrote it on a Sunday, right after worship and the community meal as he was headed to his car in the afterglow of this beautiful thing that happens once a week.
But the Hebrew word that David uses there and we translate “follow” is not so much follow in the sense of two little kids following their scout master.
No, the Hebrew word means to pursue, or to be more dynamic, to chase after.
Goodness and mercy aren’t just out for a Sunday afternoon stroll with you.
Goodness and mercy are hunting you down.
Goodness and mercy, AKA Jesus, are going to catch you; it’s just a matter of time.
Jesus got your back, people.
Whatever’s happening to you now, in your everyday life, good or bad . . . that’s not the end of the story.
This table right here is the end of the story.
This is a table of grace.
This is a table of hope.
This is a table of peace.
This is a table of welcome.
This is the table where Jesus catches us.
“You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies . . .
My cup runs over.”
Grandview Park, First Presbyterian, Ivan, Phylis . . . all you all out there.
Here’s what you need to know today.
Jesus got your back.
All the days of your life . . .
Jesus got your back.
If we can remember that, it will change our lives.
We will dwell in the house of the Lord, forever.
Here’s what I wanted to tell you.
Jesus got your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment